To start with a basic principles of writing articles, this knowledge will help you to establish contact with potential customers and secure the status of an expert. The more articles you post on the Internet and print media, the more recognizable your name will be and as a result – your status will increase and your services will be used by more people.
Let’s start with the basics.
Using the step-by-step instruction below, you can write an article easily and simply:
1 step. Choose a topic
When choosing a topic, remember, one article reveals one topic. Another important aspect – the topic should be interesting, familiar and relevant to you personally. In addition, it should be targeted at your target audience, i. E. on those people who need it and who will subsequently use your service.
In this vein, I want to touch upon another important issue – the format of the article. To maintain the status of an expert, you need to write in the following formats or layouts, name it as you like:
So, format one: “Problem + solution” – isolate the problem of your target audience, and voice it in the article. And most importantly, give some practical recommendations for solving this problem. If you describe practical recommendations and practices, readers will immediately understand that you are a practitioner, theoretically savvy, and not a theoretician – a chatterbox.
Format two: “Tool designed for …” – describe the methodology or tool that applies only in your area, but which few people know how to properly use. So you state that you not only know how to use it, but you can explain it to others.
The third format: “My clients often ask … (question – answer)” – describe the problem situation with which the client or several clients addressed you, tell about the decisions your client has received after working with you and what his problem has in common with the majority problem and how to solve it. In general, all in that spirit.
The fourth format: “Expert evaluation” – write about any phenomenon (book, a novelty in your service market, known fact, etc.) and give your expert assessment, analyze, reflect, report useful information or give practical advice.
Format five: “Practical recommendations” – step by step describe one or more techniques that give a complete picture of the actions in a problem situation relevant to your readers. The article that you read is written in this format.
It is in the above formats that you should learn how to write articles in the first place. they are in demand by people who want to solve their problems. In addition, it is practical fullness that interests magazines and newspapers. “Water” got everyone.
If your goal is to write an article for print, then first analyze the theme and style of the magazine or newspaper, its target audience. Write an article that would be sustained in the style of the publication. If there is no target audience among the target audience, do not waste time and energy. Look for suitable publications and readers who can later become your customers.
2 step. Selecting a name
In the choice of the name, do not overdo it and stick to the golden mean. It is not necessary to be very original, but you do not need to slip into banalities. The title of the article should be interesting, kindle the curiosity of readers, awaken the desire to find out what’s next.
There are rules for a good title:
- It is important that the headline attracted attention, “cling”.
- It is important to awaken curiosity and motivate to read the article.
Attention: they attract more often those articles, the names of which contain a hint , hope for satisfying the need, or to solve the problem. If the title “reveal all the cards”, then its reading will not be so interesting and necessary. Your task is to give a hint, intrigue, inspire to read the article. The title does not ask for or offer, it beckons and declares.
- The title should be read with one glance. Between the long and short title, select the second one.
- Use words that are understandable and often used by the target audience for which the article is written.
- If you write an article for a site, use the keyword in the title, i.e. a word that is related to the popular topic described in your article.
- Too much good is bad. It is not necessary to add emotionality to the title (and article) by taking a fence of exclamation or question marks. Spelling rules have not been canceled yet. In addition, do not write the headline in capital letters. It certainly gives emotionality, but in that case, it seems that the author is yelling or aggressive.
- If you are writing for a printed publication, be prepared for the fact that your name can be changed to another, but this is already a negotiated topic, and yet remember this.
- Use working templates for article titles:
“How …” A fairly common beginning, and very successful. This is a direct indication of the problem and the way to solve it.
– “How to build a successful business”
– “How to find your calling”
“A short guide …” Now society loves concentrated knowledge without excess water, and the proposal of a short guide on anything will be very in demand.
– “A Quick Guide to Building a Successful Business”
– “A Quick Guide to Finding Yourself”
“Method / methodology …” Will impart an image of scientific and/or practicality to the article. Well “shoots”, if you add epithets to it.
– “The most effective method for building a successful business”
– “The best methods for finding your calling”
“Fast way / how fast …” For a long time and many people do not want to mess around with the problem, most people will not give up the opportunity to quickly resolve their issues.
– “How fast to build a successful business”
– “A quick way to find your calling”
“A simple way / simple solution …” This template also works. Simple solutions are always needed.
– “An easy way to build a successful business”
– “An easy way to find your way”
“Create …” This template is an appeal to the emotions and creativity of readers.
– “Create your own formula for a successful business”
– “Create your own way to knowing yourself”
“Now you can …” That is, thanks to this article you will achieve, you will be able to do what you need so, if you want, of course.
– “Now you can make a successful business”
– “Now you can find your calling”
“Free, unique, best, authentic, effective, inimitable, etc.” These words always attract attention.
– “Free course to create a successful business”
– “An Effective Way to Find Your Vocation”
“What Everyone Should Know …” Such a title inflames the need to test one’s competence in one or another issue.
– “Every novice businessman should know this”
“Every successful person knows this”
“Figures.” Articles are very popular if there are numbers in the header. For names well suited – 5, 7, 15, 100, 101, etc. Often the figures are combined with other templates.
– “How to build a successful business in 6 months”
– “5 Simple Methods of Finding Your Calling”
“Secrets.” Here, innate human curiosity and curiosity are triggered. This template works well in combination with numbers.
– “Secrets of a successful business”
– “7 ancient secrets of finding your way.”
This is not all existing templates for headlines. Other examples you can easily find on the Internet and books. And yet this does not mean that all the titles of your articles should begin or contain templates. Experiment, act, look for your own style. In addition, the “fashion” of the names is changeable, keep in touch, come up with your own.
3 step. Plan of the article
You need to write a plan on which to build an article. It happens that a person tries to write, guided only by the topic, not building a general concept of the article. Usually, this leads to the collapse and unnecessary waste of energy.
It is necessary to prescribe a plan. It should be quite simple:
- introduction (briefly reveals the main idea of the text),
- The main part, consisting of several recommendations or abstracts,
- conclusion (conclusions, summing up).
4 step. Introduction
The introduction should gently bring the reader to the main topic. In addition, in the introduction, you designate the problems of the article (about what?), And the target audience (for whom?).
5 step. Main part
Direct discussion. Here you can give some important practical recommendations or clarify the basic concepts of this topic. In the description, there must be a specific, useful and valuable information. A good addition will be stories or parables, interesting facts, as well as your own experience and a look at the issue raised in the article. Well, if you fill the text with epithets, it will add emotionality to the dry facts. In the main part, you need to indicate the answers to the questions posed in the introduction.
Try to keep within 2-3 thousand signs, i.?. in 1-2 pages. At the same time, remember that you write not just an article, but an article for a certain target audience, more precisely for a good and pleasant person to whom this topic is important. Remember this is necessary so that your text is friendly and understandable, then you can build a trusting relationship with your readers.
6 step. Conclusion
Here you summarize, emphasizing the positive result, as well as the fact that the information given in the main part will help to cope with the problem.
7 step. Subtract article
Read the text (check and correct) the text only once, for a long time without hesitation and not delving into idealism, otherwise, it will lead to extortion, countless corrections and as a result, to an unwritten article. The purpose of proofreading is to correct typos and remove duplicates, replacing them with words in synonyms. The text should be easy, literate and simple.
8 step. Check uniqueness
This is a very, very important stage. If your article is one hundred percent unique, then on the Internet space it will be indexed as new. Hence, its rating on the background of other articles on this topic will increase among the search engines. This means that the probability of getting into the first positions will increase significantly. The more transitions to a unique article, the more popular the site. And this means that the influx of visitors is growing and your popularity with him.
The text will be considered unique if the word combinations that are used in it are not found anywhere else. It’s even about the texts that you wrote yourself from the first word to the last point. It happens that the phrases used by you have already been used by other authors. Check the uniqueness and increase it can be in special programs, such as Copyscape, or other plagiarism software. One hundred percent uniqueness is in demand in printed publications.
9 step. Text formatting
It is important to properly arrange, i.e. format text. Formatting methods create visual hints for readers and make reading the text easy and understandable.
The following formatting elements are available:
- Selection of headings and sub-headings. Choose for yourself two or three ways of selecting text, if more, you risk triggering unconscious annoyance and fatigue in your readers.
- Bulleted or numbered lists. Our brain is accustomed to classify everything, and this formatting will make it easier to read.
- Highlight key phrases or words. This helps with quick reading, it is immediately evident whether it is worth going into more detail.
- Readable font. Wizened fonts are hard to read, this can also lead to unconscious annoyance and fatigue from reading. So choose an easily readable font, I personally like Calibri.
- Simple sentences. In psychology, there is a golden formula – 7 plus, minus 2. It is applicable to the number of words in the sentence.
Remember the golden mean, excessive use of formatting elements can lead to loss of text quality. Speaking about the design of the text, it is necessary to mention also illustrations – pictures, tables, diagrams, photos are welcomed. It is important that the illustrations should be of good quality and approach the topic.
10 step. Save
Now it’s time to save the article, close it, and most importantly – to remember what folder it is in. Ideally, it would be nice to create a separate folder, something like “an article to promote my Personal Brand.” If the article is written by hand, it is better to translate it into an electronic form, and then save, close and remember where it lies.
Do not rush with the publication of the article just written. If possible, let it rest and after a while, read it in a different setting and out loud. This will help to notice and correct possible shortcomings. Ideally, it’s good to give the written article to the editorial office to another person.
Using this step-by-step instruction, you can easily write your article, even if you do it for the first time. Success in creativity, all the best.