Following operating for years in the frozen dough business, supplying frozen goods to bakeries, cafes and restaurants, I had the likelihood and the pleasure to get really a lot of experience in the production of excellent quality frozen dough.
A great quality frozen dough product is a item which, after getting been frozen for up to six months, nonetheless comes out of the oven as beautiful, appetising, attractive to the eyes and tasty as a fresh product. So it provides me a wonderful pleasure to share with you some of the secrets about frozen dough production.
Initial never get mixed up with “Retarded Dough Technique” and “Frozen Dough Technology”. These are two diverse methods of processing the dough, the first one is quite basic and the second one is quite considerably a lot more elaborate.
– The Retarded Dough Technique is just standard dough that we location in a typical freezer, to be employed up at a later time, could be 1, two, or 3 days later. This dough loses some of its overall performance capability during the freezing process and can’t be kept frozen for far more than a couple of days only. This is just a hassle-free process that we can use in some short term circumstances.
– The Frozen Dough Technologies on the other hand is a extremely detailed and particular way of processing the dough, that allow the user to get the optimum performance out of the dough which has been frozen for a longer period of time. This period of time could be from just a couple of weeks to a few months six months becoming regarded as a maximum for a live dough containing yeast. This is specifically what this post is all about.
1st, how many sorts of frozen dough processes can we differentiate?
1) Ready to Prove Frozen Dough, very good for most yeast dough and puff pastry as properly.
2) Ready to Bake Frozen Dough, recommended particularly for croissant and Danish pastry items.
three) Element Baked Frozen Dough, great for bread products, not advised for croissant, Danish pastry products, and sweet bread and bun things.
four) Complete Baked Frozen Dough, very good for sweet bread/bun and soft roll, not advised for bread, croissant, Danish pastry and puff pastry items.
5) Raw Frozen Dough Ready to Bake (Proving in the oven), not available yet, new technologies still below intense investigation and development.
Essential points to succeed in frozen dough preparation
1) Make confident that the fermentation approach does not start at any stage throughout the production.
To achieve that: 1 need to handle the temperature of the dough throughout all the distinct stages of the process, from the really beginning (mixing) to the extremely end (proving baking).
Ideally dough temperature should not exceed 16C (61F) in the course of the mixing, dividing and filling of the merchandise.
After the blast freezing procedure the best storage temperature is from -18C (64F) TO -22C (72F).
2) To preserve the dough temperature beneath 16C (61F), at all time throughout processing, is the most tough element and to achieve this objective we require to:
a) Maintain the room temperature at between 16C (61F) and 20C (68F).
b) Use cold flour. Just before use, the flour should be stored in a chiller (+4C) (39F).
c) Use cold water from a chiller or a water cooler.
d) Replace 25% of the liquid employed (water/milk) with ice flakes. Or if ice flakes are not available the use of icy cold water (+2C) (35F) is suggested.
e) Perform the dough straight away from the mixer without having or with as tiny rest as achievable amongst the various stages.
f) Freeze the dough, following shaping and filling, as fast as possible and this is when we want a blast freezer to freeze the item extremely rapidly up to the core. Why do we need to have to freeze the dough as rapidly as possible? The answer is: To bring the temperature deep inside the merchandise to about -8C (17F) to -15C (5F) really fast, about ten to 30 minutes, depending of the size of the goods.
This way the ice crystals formed in the course of the freezing approach are extremely little and do not damage the dough structure. If the freezing method is also extended (from 3 to 6 hours with a conventional freezer) the crystals formed inside the dough are really huge and will damage the yeast and the gluten structure. Then in this case the item will be quite extended to prove and will not rise to its maximum desired size, this is normally a low quality frozen dough.
Now hunting at every single sort of frozen dough processes 1 by one, we can say that for bread things the part baked program is the very best and provides very very good results. For croissant and Danish pastry things (as effectively as bread products) the ready to bake technique gives outstanding results, but demands strict supervision, good equipment and premise.
With regards to the components utilised in the production of frozen dough, they are nearly the very same as for the standard variety of dough except two slight differences.
Initial, the yeast. Instant yeast and fresh yeast are each great to use but we often have far better final results with fresh yeast, goods are quicker to prove with more oven spring as effectively.
Also when it comes to the quantity of yeast employed, we have to boost it very a lot (up to two to three times the standard quantity) to compensate of the yeast dying throughout the freezing approach.
Second, the dough/bread improver employed need to be a specific sort of improver for frozen dough only. There are many brands accessible on the industry.